One morning I woke up and wanted some Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red lobster. 2 things- 1: Red Lobster wasn’t open at 9 am and 2: That’s a 25-30 min drive. In that time, I could have made them. So that’s exactly what I did. It was actually pretty simple.
- 2 cups of white lily self rising flour.
- 1 cup whole buttermilk (really cold).
- 6 tablespoons of salted butter (really cold or frozen).
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
Garlic butter to brush on top:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450
- Add Flour to a bowl and grate your butter into the flour.
- Cut your butter into the Flour using a fork or pastry blender (The youtube video shows you how to cut butter into flour). Your flour should resemble crumbs once done.
- Make a well in the flour and add your buttermilk. Gently fold the flour into the buttermilk until all combined. Yes, the dough is sticky–don’t worry.
- Add in garlic powder and cheese. Mix until combined.
- Add flour to clean counter top and put the dough on top.
- fold the dough into layers and then flatten the dough–or you can do the “drop” method–which is basically balling up the dough and putting it on the pan.
- Using a floured biscuit cutter or rim of a glass, cut out your biscuits. Do not twist the cutter or glass. It should be a down and up motion.
- Add your biscuits to a cookie sheet, I like baking mine in my cast iron skillet.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- While the biscuits are baking: melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add garlic powder and parsley.
- Brush on top of biscuits once they’re done.