Warm weather reminds me of lemons. Here, in the south, we’re already reaching days of weather over 70 degrees and who wants to turn the oven on for an hour just to make a cheesecake? Not me child. This easy, sweet, yet tart dessert is perfect for the warmer weather ahead and you won’t even break a sweat making it.
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 packages cream cheese (Should be room temperature and do not use low fat)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 5 tbsp salted butter
Note: You will need a 9 inch springform pan—if you don’t have one, you can use a 9 inch pie pan. You could even buy the crust pre-made, but to me it isn’t as buttery and tasty.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan and along the sides (Shown in the video). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add whipping cream and beat on low until combined, then beat on high for 3-4 minutes until thickened (shown in the video)
- Taste your filling to see if you’d like to add more sugar or lemon juice–personally, I think this would work because the lemon curd gives the cheesecake an extra lemon pop.
- Pour your filling into your crust. Let chill for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- While the cheese cake is chilling, make your lemon curd. You will need a double boiler. If you do not have a double boiler: put water in a big pot and sit a small pot inside–you will make your curd in the smaller pot. (Shown in the video).
- Lemon curd: combine all of the ingredients and constantly stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to chill in the fridge for 4-6 hours or overnight
- To assemble: Remove cheesecake from springform pan (Skip this step if you used a pie pan)
- Add lemon curd on top and smooth the curd out evenly.
- Optional: You can decorate with lemon slices and whipped cream.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to tag Soul Food and Trap Music on Facebook, Instagram or Youtube. Use hashtags: #SoulFoodandTrapMusic #SFTM