Shrimp and grits are fantastic any time of the day. I know it sounds like a breakfast only type of food, but in the south, it’ll be breakfast, lunch, dinner and maybe even a snack–no judgement, please lol.
1-2 pounds of shrimp with the shell on
1 – pack of your favorite sausage
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
Salted or Unsalted butter
1/2 cup grits —do not use instant–that’s evil lol
2 1/4 cups whole milk
8oz or more of your favorite shredded cheese–I used sharp cheddar.
Salt –how much you use is your preference
Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Seafood Magic– how much you use is your preference
Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Poultry Magic– how much you use is your preference
1 Yellow Onion
2 Stalks Celery
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Bunch of green onion
2 Cloves garlic or you can used garlic in a jar.
- Chop onion, Green Bell Pepper, celery, garlic, and green onion and cut Sausage into quarter slices.
- Remove the shell from your shrimp and save them–you will need them to make the stock. Be sure to save 6-8 shrimp to the side for garnish.
- In a medium sized pot, add 2 Quarts warm water. Add the shrimp heads and shells all at once. Chef Paul Prudhommes seafood magic and poultry magic ..Chopped onion, Chopped Celery Green Bell Pepper, and Garlic. Stir all ingredients together. Let simmer for 1 hour .
- In a separate skillet, cook your sausage. Once done, set them aside.
- Last 15 minutes of the shrimp stock simmering, you could start your grits.
- in a small pot Add 2 1/4 cups whole milk and 3 tablespoons of butter (you can add more or less butter to suit your taste) . Let butter melt. Once melted salt and stir.
- Cook grits until all milk has evaporated. Let them cool for about 10 minutes before adding your cheese.
- SHRIMP SAUCE:
- In a large Sauce pan, add 3 tablespoons butter. Let butter melt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour and let it brown–DO NOT LET IT BURN!
- Once it has browned add a cup of shrimp stock.
- Add in your cooked sausage, green onions and let it simmer about 5 minutes
- Add your raw shrimp and 2 more cups of shrimp stock. Let this simmer for 30 minutes.
- While your shrimp stock is simmering, prepare your additional shrimp (from step 2) for garnish.
- season your shrimp really well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan, let it melt and add your shrimp. Let them brown on both sides.
- Time to plate: Add grits to a bowl and add your shrimp and sausage sauce on top. Add your browned shrimp for garnish and top with green onion.
Be sure to post your masterpiece and tag Soul Food and Trap Music! #SFTM #SoulFoodandTrapMusic
Find Soul Food and Trap Music on Facebook, Instagram and youtube
Also you can watch this video on my Youtube channel!